Join me in a year long journey reading through the Bible

  • Wow, this was a lot to read today. A lot to take in. Le t me see if I can recap this correctly. He begins by telling us about Gods defense of Jerusalem and...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Finding Joy

Joy. What is joy? Is it happiness, fun, kindness, love? I think it is so many things to so many people. Now the question is when you know what joy is to you, how do you find it? Especially during the bustle and hurriedness of the Holiday season. Notice I said holiday not Christmas. When we get caught up in the struggles of finding that parking spot, finding the right gift, having enough money, having enough time, eating too much food and regretting it etc., are we really celebrating Christmas?

Christmas is not about how many gifts we get or give or how much weight we do or do not put on by January 2nd. It is about our Lord and Savior's Birth. There was the ultimate and best gift of all that we were given so many years ago. The gift of everlasting life through our Lord Jesus Christ. And it all started with His birth.

There are many things that give me joy. Watching my kids (6 & 3) sing in the children's choir at Christmas time; being able to stay home and doing as God commanded me to homeschool my children; singing Christmas Carols; watching my kids eyes light up on Christmas morning, knowing that no matter how tight it gets financially, God is watching over us And listening to my children tell their unsaved friends about Jesus Christ. Those are but just a few.

What is the one thing that gives me the most joy not just during Christmas, but all year round? Knowing, without a doubt, that when I die I will be lifted up in the hands of our Lord and be with Him forever. That is where I find my ultimate joy.

My prayer is that everyone out there would be able to stop for just a moment during this season and find that same joy in Christmas. Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments: